Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I'm Loving All the Love For My Project, But...

I thought that I needed to clarify a few things about my project after reading some of the comments left by my esteemed colleagues. Thank you for all of the great ideas and enthusiasim. I have had to simplify my ideas for my project, because I'm really trying to see if using visual presentations that are computer based are an effective means to improve academic achievement for EL students. This is the real aim, so students actually will not be a part of the creation of my movie presentations because I have to control as many factors as I can and having them be the creators would move the focus to how well they are able to use technology rather than how technology may improve their achievement.
That brings me to the second struggle of my project. How will I measure their progress? I do not want to use a written test, because then I will be measuring how well they read and write in English and not how the technology effected their understanding of the material. I think my brain is beginning to hurt...That means short oral quizzes, which is really the only way to take as many obstacles out of my way. Now I just need to get all of my lesson presentations done! I am looking at some pre-made ones that came with the current social studies curriculum to see if they will suit my needs, but I have a feeling that I will have to continue to make my own.

3 comments:

Sandra Seals said...

I know they are 4th graders, but have you thought of small group presentations? or pictorials (made by students)that illustrate their understanding? or a small skit? I think you have a lot of avenues to explore which will assess their learning.
Good luck!

LothLorien Stewart said...

Have you tried looking at what other teachers are doing on teachertube or utube? There may be some great ideas or usable movies out there already.

uofe said...

What about comparing assessments from two different teaching strategies; one would be what you'd call somewhat "traditional" and the other would focus on using technology to deliver the content. Control for gender and ability first, then divide your class into two equal, controlled groups. Try delivering information to one group using only traditional methods; deliver the same objectives only using technology to drive the lesson. Maybe don't start with a whole lesson, but start with one small concept to see if this idea is worth repeating or has merit...